When we say that GreenGeeks is 300% Green Web Hosting Powered by Renewable Energy, what does that mean?
It means that for every kilowatt of electricity that we draw from the power grid, we return three kilowatts in the form of wind and solar energy.
By putting more clean energy back into the power system than we’re using, we are effectively negating not only our carbon footprint but also those of two other similarly-sized companies.
From day one GreenGeeks has been investing in renewable energy by partnering with the Bonneville Environmental Foundation. Since 1998 the BEF has been working hard to put renewable energy investments such as ours into action. Here is just a sampling what the BEF has done:
- Generated more than more than 6 million megawatt-hours of clean, renewable energy through the purchase of Renewable Energy Certificates. That’s the equivalent of powering half a million homes with clean, renewable electricity.
- Kept more than 9.5 million metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent from the atmosphere through partners’ combined purchases of Renewable Energy Certificates. The equivalent of taking more than two million cars off the road for one year.
- Restored over 13.5 billion gallons of water to critically dewatered rivers and streams through partners’ purchases of Water Restoration Certificates. That’s the same volume of water that would fill more than 20,000 Olympic sized swimming pools.
- Reached K-12 students in 20 states with 250 hands-on renewable energy education projects through their Solar 4R Schools program.
- Been a driving force in the revitalization of 20 river ecosystems in 7 western states and Mexico through their Model Watershed program.
In addition to working with BEF to replace the energy we’re using (our entire hosting infrastructure as well as our telecommuting staff), we also use the most energy efficient hardware available and house it all in data centers that are designed to be environmentally friendly.
GreenGeeks is a recognized Environmental Protection Agency Green Power Partner. Not only are we the most eco-friendly web hosting service in the world, but there are only three EPA Green Power Partner companies that replace a higher percentage of total electrical use than GreenGeeks does (you may have heard of a couple of them: IKEA and Netflix).
Remember, when you use GreenGeeks, you’re making a real difference by choosing to make your website green.